Tuesday 21 August 2007

Monday, 20 August 2007 (yes I know it’s Tues but there were complications…)


We were up today the earliest we have been since the start of the trip. Oh joy. Stevie B had told us the night before that he would be there to pick us up at 6:45am in preparation for our ‘garden’ work… We all rose at around 6:43am… cutting it a little close, but nevertheless, we were ready. Steve, however, didn’t arrive until 7:10am, much to our annoyance… proof that teenagers aren’t so lazy. 

The work in the FIELDS [note: NOT garden… thanks for an accurate description Mark] was, all in all, really good fun. Spent a few hours ‘slashing’ (naturally, we Brits found that amusing) and picking and checking ground nuts, which was… interesting. The Ugandans seem to take the NO FEAR approach with the slashers… and almost chopped Leanne to pieces until she realised in the nick of time that she was, maybe, a ‘little’ too close! Picking the ground nuts was pretty tedious, but it sure made me realise just how much effort and dedication their lives involve. Even for things that we wouldn’t know we were taking for granted, such a buying a packet of nuts (not that I ever buy nuts, cos I don’t like them, but you know what I mean…). I’ve never really given a proper thought to just how much (boring) work it takes to provide it! And also, that at first, we were all a bit give-or-take with how much effort we put into the work, but I thought – “if we don’t do this properly… that means they’re actually going to have less food.” I know it sounds obvious, but to me, I hadn’t really thought about that. Maybe because I’ve never had a task that will have real consequences on people other than myself if I don’t do it as best as I can, but this one reeeeally did. And that made me feel quite ashamed of my attitude towards it, and also towards the tasks I approach when I’m back home. Although I doubt any of those will really make so much of a difference… but you never know.

During the afternoon, we girls got to spend some time with the Clays, which was great. It was lovely to get to know them more, especially Rach and Jed (Rach and Dave’s 4 year old son, who’s a total cheeky tinker, but great). Then we walked back to the Brown’s, to take a trip to Luwero market, which was busy, wet (it had just rained… a lot) and quite funny. Most of our pairs were followed round by bunches of Ugandan children, and referred to as “Muzungu” constantly. Mica even got called over the speaker phone that was running from a big pick-up truck parked in the middle of the market!

Almost as soon as we got back, we were whisked off to family groups (Em and I went to Calvary family, Mica, Leanne and Catherine went to Ebenezer family), to join them for dinner and devotions. Em and I ended up joining a tournament of a game almost identical to ‘Rummy’ (which I LOVE) and I won! Well, the first game… but I don’t feel the need to go into details further than that…! For dinner we all ate (or tried to) posho and beans. Posho is basically their staple food, they eat it with everything, it tastes of nothing, and has a certain texture that is sure to make you want to vomit. Yummy. Em and I were so slow that they eventually asked us if we were finished because they needed to get on with devotions! We were very grateful for that.
‘Uncle’ Jeremy (all adults are referred to either aunt or uncle here at New Hope) lead devotions, which was quite funny, as most of the kids were totally unresponsive, except for Robert (16) who took to answering every one of Uncle Jeremy’s questions with either “God” or “Jesus”. Haha.

A really nice boy called Moses (who has an incredible singing voice) walked us back to the Brown’s, which we thought was really kind of him, as we couldn’t see a thing by this point (when it’s dark… boy, is it dark)… But a few minutes after we returned, Mica, Leanne and Catherine were paraded home by their WHOLE family group, singing and dancing the calypso (or again… trying to)! Quite outdone!

Anyway, I have to get off to the baby house (alllrrriiiiight), so I best be off.

Love to my family (if any of you read this, I’m not sure) and friends (again, I’m not sure who reads this)… I don’t really miss you, but that’s just cos it’s brill here… so be consoled 

God bless you… every one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you are all having a good time. The diary has been an excellent read so far! Keep it going.
love from the Thackers

Anonymous said...

Note for Leanne
I'm thinking about you
Love fom Ray

Anonymous said...

We've decided to let the grass grow so you can keep up your "slashing" skills when you get home!!!!!!!Oh, and don't bother to bring the recipe for posho with you. It sounds like a bowl of it was quite a challenge!!!
Glad you're having a good time and lots of new experiences.
love

Liz

Anonymous said...

hello mark, maddy, leanne and co. im glad your getting on ok, im interested in what you are doing and how you are coping with the diverse culture that you are sharing! well done all of you..
lots of love...
leannes nanny (the religious one!)
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
My prayers are with you :)
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
Our pastor jim sends his regards to all!

Anonymous said...

Hiya anna babes. Just to let you know we (and Auntie Jackie) have all been reading your entry while we're together for your momma's birthday - I even got her a cake, because normally she's the cake maker so she never gets one for her b'day.

We're not missing you either, cos things are so brilliant here that we're not jealous at all! lol Actually, seems weird without you here, but we're dead glad you're having such a good time. Don't let those babies grab your heart *too* much! :)

Love you loads, babes. xxx